Every day, Hexcel employees live our Values and fulfill our Purpose as we build houses for low-income families, run races to fund cancer research, cook meals for the hungry, provide needy children with school supplies, and so much more. In 2019, local Hexcel donations total more than $350,000 and were supported by more than 1,400 hours in employee volunteer time.
The Hexcel Foundation
In addition to local contributions, the Hexcel Foundation granted a total of $240,000 in 2019 and 2020 to three charitable organizations that are focused on improving education, fighting cancer, and relieving hunger and homelessness worldwide. Our charitable gifts at both the local and global levels will increase over time as we share with others the rewards we achieve through excellent performance in driving results and meeting commitments. Grants were made to:
- The Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum for its STEM in 30 program, an Emmy-nominated webcast series that engages middle school students across the globe in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) topics in just 30 minutes. Museum curators, astronauts, and experts in various STEM fields connect to classrooms with real-world, relevant content to show students that science extends beyond the walls of their school.
- The Cancer Research Institute which works with a global network of leading researchers, supporters, patients and advocates to fund the most promising clinical and laboratory research in fighting cancer through immunotherapy in hopes of harnessing the power of our immune systems to control and potentially cure all types of cancer.
- Convoy of Hope for its Children’s Feeding Initiative, providing nutritious meals and monitoring the health and growth of children in countries including El Salvador, Haiti, Honduras, Kenya, Uganda, Nicaragua, the Philippines, Ethiopia, South Africa, Tanzania, Nepal, India, Sri Lanka, and Lebanon. The Initiative also works to provide clean and safe water and healthy living environments.
Hexcel Foundation and Community Involvement Councils
Local Community Involvement
During the COVID-19 pandemic, employees have stayed close to the needs in their communities and, as a result, have facilitated the donation of isolation protection gowns (Stade), made or donated hand sanitizer (Amesbury, Dagneux), provided respirators (Pasching), donated PPE supplies to hospitals (Dagneux, Hartford, Les Avenières, Parla, and Pottsville), and built intubation boxes (Casa Grande). Here are some of the other community activities in which Hexcel employees participated in recently:
- Hexcel Amesbury (U.S.) -- Our Neighbor's Table
- Hexcel Burlington (U.S.) -- Toys for Tots
- Hexcel Casa Grande (U.S.) -- Back-to-school drives for local elementary and middle schools.
- Hexcel Decatur (U.S.) -- Backpacks, school supplies, and t-shirts to local school children in need.
- Hexcel Dublin (U.S.) -- Dublin Shamrock 5K Fun Run (benefiting local schools).
- Hexcel Duxford (U.K.) -- "Wear It Pink" for Breast Cancer Now, "Jumper Day" for Save the Children Fund, Chariots of Fire Race.
- Hexcel Europe (Les Avenières, Dagneux, Nantes, Roussillon, Toulouse, Duxford and Parla) -- Run in Lyon benefiting the French Muscular Dystrophy Association.
- Hexcel Hartford (U.S.) -- Walked to raise money for the Church Army/Bywater Homeless ministry, which helps address hunger.
- Hexcel Illescas (Spain) -- Spanish Association Against Cancer (Asociación Contra el Cáncer). The site also supports the Rugby Team "Los Hidalogos," which includes players with mental disabilities or special needs.
- Hexcel Kent (U.S.) -- Wishing Well Foundation, Kentridge High School Robotics Team, FIRST (For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology), and 5K Heart Walk (for the American Heart Association).
- Hexcel Leicester (U.K) -- Raises money through an annual bake off for Red Nose Day and for Children in Need.
- Hexcel Les Avenières (France) -- Les Restos du Coeur (fighting poverty), Temps Forts Temps Libres (wheelchairs and beds for the handicapped), Movember Foundation (men's health).
- Hexcel Parla (Spain) -- For 10 consecutive years, Hexcel Parla and Hexcel Illescas partcipate in the Carrera de las Empresas to raise money for cancer research.
- Hexcel Pottsville (U.S.) -- The site made a donation to assist residents after a flood devastated a community about 10 miles from the plant. In 2018, the site participated in a 5K Run/Walk (benefiting the Avenues), 400+ mile walk and other fundraisers for the American Cancer Society.
- Hexcel Salt Lake City (U.S.) -- Backpacks and pantry pack donations to a local elementary school, Utah Aerospace Pathways Program (education and career development for high school students), Saints-to-Sinners Bike Relay (benefiting research into Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis), Annual Community Caring Campaign fundraising for the United Way of Salt Lake, The Huntsman Cancer Institute, and Make-A-Wish Utah.
- Hexcel Seguin (U.S.) -- Served as a gold sponsor for the Sunrise Lions 5K Annual Fun Run/Walk which supports multiple local charities.
- Hexcel Stade (Germany) -- Forty employees at Hexcel Stade recently registered for the German Bone Marrow Donor File (DKMS Deutschland), a non-profit foundation that operates the largest database in Germany to match blood cancer patients with potential stem cell donors. Hexcel fully covered the costs of registering and analyzing the tissue samples from employees, as part of the site’s community relations program. Hexcel Stade has pledged that if an employee is a match and chooses to donate bone marrow, he or she will be released from work – with pay – for all exams, procedures and recovery.
- Hexcel Stamford (U.S.) -- In addition to a financial donation, employees donate their time to Inspirica, a local organization providing transitional housing to those in need. Employees worked on a beautification project and cooked meals for residents.
- Hexcel Welkenraedt (Belgium) -- Vista Sports Asbl Royal Standard Cécifoot Liège (promoting sports for the visually impaired).
Matching Contributions for Natural Disaster Relief
Whenever a natural disaster affects a community in which we live and work, it affects our employees, their families and their friends, as well. At Hexcel, we believe in responsibility – in fact, striving to be good citizens in the communities in which we live and work is one of our four Values. To that end, Hexcel has established a matching contributions program that will match dollar-for-dollar employee contributions made to the American Red Cross after a natural disaster affects an area near one of our U.S. locations.
New Hires Practice Responsibility Early
One way that participants in our Early Career Leadership Program (ECP) learn project management skills is through a community service project. Over the past three years, efforts have been focused on children and in particular with the Boys & Girls Club of Decatur (Alabama). Projects have included building bikes, renovating the homework room, creating a teen room and revitalizing the lobby to create a more welcoming atmosphere. In addition, ECP employees have focused efforts on addressing childhood hunger by creating a social networking campaign to bring awareness to the problem and by donating, building and stocking a greenhouse that supports a local community garden. To support their own community interests, ECP employees are awarded up to $250 that they are encouraged to use to support a charitable cause of their choice.
Hexcel Foundation Scholarship Program
Hexcel awards renewable scholarships of $2,000 to $5,000 a year to the children of Hexcel employees who plan to pursue post-secondary education in college and vocational programs at any accredited post-secondary institution of the student's choice. Since 1987, scholarships totaling more than $1.6 million have been awarded.
Student Research Support
Hexcel is proud to support the various colleges and universities worldwide from which we recruit our best talent by providing limited quantities of our raw material products such as carbon fiber tow, reinforced fabric, honeycomb, resins and adhesives in support of research and other student-led projects. Some of our most recent donations have been made to the University of Alabama, Texas A&M University, the Rochester Institute of Technology, the University of Washington, the University of Utah, and Drexel University. Click to make a request.